2009 FCA Executive/execitf 7/8/09

Executive Committee / Comité executif 2009/8/7

 

Executive Committee / Comité executif

August 7, 2009 @ 22:25hrs – Laval, QC - le 07 aout, 2009 @ 22:25hrs

 

1.0 Welcome and Opening Remarks

- R. Murray welcomed EC members. He indicated that given the late start to the EC meeting, the intent of the meeting would be to address items slated for the next day’s Board meeting and any issues that the EC needs to discuss and prepare for in advance of the Board meeting. He also stated that the style of the meeting would be informal, allowing for reporting, discussion and action where required (motions not required).

2.0       2009-10 Draft Budget

- R. Tataryn presented the 2009-10 budget prepared by the Finance Committee (comprised of R. Tataryn, E. Wilson and S. Ogilvie).

- The intent is to simplify the budget and budgeting process and to make it easier to understand.

- The Finance Committee has budgeted for a small surplus.

- S. Ogilvie provided a quick overview of the Sport Canada funds approved for fiscal year 2009-10 and noted where funds are protected for expenditure in the designated area only (designated by Sport Canada).

- See Appendix 1 for budget.

3.0       3D Business

- J. Hooey highlighted the recommendations (from the July 2009 3D Committee meeting minutes):

- The 3D Committee will be bringing forward some rules changes to the Rules Committee for consideration.

- Considerable time was spent at the 3D Committee meeting discussing possible fundraising initiatives (to help reduce costs to 3D National Team members for example). One particular initiative proposed by Will Reinhart of AANB, was well received by the 3D Committee. J. Hooey requested that this initiative be discussed at a future EC meeting.

- For future Indoor 3D Championships, consider using just two courses rather than three.

- Suggested that 3D Championships be held in close proximity to a major centre with airport access. The rationale is to reduce issues surrounding travel logistics and thereby possibly increase the likelihood of archers attending Championships.

- Revisions are required to the CanBow 3D Program.

- Work on the selection criteria for the 2011 3D World Championship needs to get underway in early 2010.

- A 3D Committee motion pertaining to the Indoor 3D Championship rotation schedule was presented to the Board. The 3D Committee motion for Board consideration reads as follows:

 

MOTION #3D2009-10:  Moved that an Indoor 3D Championship rotation schedule be established on a 4 year rotation cycle, beginning in 2014. And that in 2014, the rotation schedule begin with AANS and follow the already established Outdoor Championship rotation schedule for subsequent years.

Moved by:  SK               Seconded by: MB                                 Carried

 

- J. Hooey asked that we obtain some clarification on Crossbow coverage with BFL Insurance when the presentation is made at tomorrow’s Board meting. She reported that considerable time and discussion was spent on the crossbow issue at the ED Committee meeting. More specifically insurance coverage for crossbow users; the inclusion of crossbow users in FCA; and the creation of a definition of archery. The 3D Committee meeting minutes provide the details on the discussion, motions and votes on the crossbow issue.

- A. Wills cautioned against debating the crossbow issues at this Board meeting. Board members around the table are not fully up-to-speed on the issues and the background underlying the issues. There is the potential for imbalance in the discussion if the crossbow issue is discussed tomorrow. A. Wills also added that he felt this Board meeting was not the time to address the definition of archery.

- R. Murray stated that he felt this meeting was the appropriate time to discuss the definition of archery and urged the EC to do so.

- The EC reached agreement that it would not address the crossbow issue at this Board meeting.

 

4.0       Tournament Registration Process

- E. Wilson referred EC members to his proposal for registering tournaments with the FCA and FITA.  See Appendix 2 for proposal.

- The proposal generated considerable discussion.

- There was agreement that changes are required and revisions to the process are required.

- S. Ogilvie added his input surrounding the current process and some of the shortcomings of the current process.

- It was suggested that we need to include a 3D registration fee.

 

5.0       FCA Equipment and Equipment Container

- C. Parlee stated that AANS is counting on the equipment and container being available to it for hosting the 2010 Outdoor Target, Field and 3D National Championships.

- Caledon A.C. has stored the container and equipment for the past 3 years.

- Discussion ensued on where the FCA will store the container after the 2010 Championships.

- The FCA equipment container in concept is a sound idea, however in practicality it hasn’t worked well. Host Organizing Committees seem to be reluctant to pay the cost to have the container shipped to the Championship venue. Hosts use their own equipment and borrow from other clubs rather than spend to have the container delivered.

- B. Savage has informed us that the clocks need re-wiring.

- Discussion occurred about whether the EC should consider the sale of the equipment to clubs and the container itself after 2010.

- In some respects the equipment container has become a ‘white elephant’ for the FCA.

- E. Wilson stated this is a complex issue that requires further discussion with others (e.g., Don Lohnes).

- Agreement that the issue can’t be resolved at this EC meeting and requires further discussion and investigation to address the feasibility of FCA continuing with the equipment container.

 

6.0       Merchandise Sale

- E. Wilson/S. Ogilvie raised the issue of merchandise sales and warehousing of merchandise at our warehouse (Wills Transfer in Ottawa).

- There has not been alot of merchandise sales since S. Ogilvie’s arrival at FCA. The cost of monthly storage is roughly $140-$150/month. Is this cost-effective given the low amount of sales?

- The FCA’s administrative handling of merchandise orders takes time (amongst other responsibilities of the Executive Director), e.g., handling and submission of orders, invoicing.

- Essential items such as CanBow products; medals, volunteer recognition pins, etc. could be kept at the FCA office and orders filled and invoicing done as required.

- Should FCA really be in the business of selling products such as targets? Targets can be purchased by clubs from archery supply companies. Many clubs are already purchasing targets from other suppliers.

- Do targets require the FCA logo on them? Only indoor target faces have to have the FCA logo.

- Prioritize what FCA really needs to continue selling, e.g., FCA rule books, pins, medals, coach manuals, CanBow, products, decals.

- May not need to inventory rule books but rather print on demand.

- Consideration to be given to FCA getting out of the business of selling merchandise.

- A place to warehouse archival items will need to be found if we do move out of the merchandise business.

- Investigate the feasibility of licensing some of our products to official FCA licensees.

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to obtain an inventory of what’s in stock at the warehouse. E-mail latest version of inventory list to T. Furlotte/A. Wills.

7.0       Sport Building

- S. Ogilvie reported that a large number of Ottawa-based national sport organizations (NSOs) are investigating the feasibility of building a national sport building with funds from the NSOs and the Federal government. A funding application is being made to the Federal Infrastructure Program.

- Is FCA interested in pursuing this avenue?

- In theory it makes sense to be with other sports (as in the past).

- What’s the cost to FCA? A down payment of $5K has been requested of NSOs.

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to obtain further information and keep the EC apprised.

 

8.0             Membership

- J. Hooey reported that there was an issue around some Quebec residents not being FTAQ members (but rather OAA or AANB members) and attempting to enter the Championship as a member of FCA but not a member of their provincial association (place of residence). Under the FTAQ/FCA Agreement, this is not permitted. This unfortunate issue came to light the week prior to the Championship and created much unnecessary tension and work in the lead-up to the Championship. The issue was dealt with and resolved (for the time being) on site at the Championship by FCA and FTAQ volunteers and staff.

- The issues arising from the recent 3D Outdoor Championship in Amos, QC, indicate a need to clarify and communicate that individuals must be members of the provincial association within which they reside. Otherwise the individual cannot compete in an FCA national championship, without joining FCA directly at a significantly greater membership fee. The PSO agreement states individuals requesting to join FCA directly must first be directed by the FCA, back to their provincial association. 

 

9.0       AWAD Coordinator

- S. Ogilvie reported that Arthur Nault recently submitted his resignation as the AWAD Coordinator. Arthur has done a very good job as the Coordinator and has advanced the AWAD Program. Arthur is to be commended for his time and effort devoted to the AWAD Program and its athletes.

- A call needs to go out in the near future to find a qualified replacement for the position.

- R. Murray expressed interest in the position.

- It was suggested that perhaps we should call a vote amongst AWAD members?

ACTION: S. Ogilvie and the new V-P High Performance will discuss the most appropriate course of action to fill the position and ‘action’ accordingly, early this Fall.

 

10.0      HPC Membership

- E. Wilson, J. McDonald and S. Ogilvie will discuss the structure and composition of the HPC this coming week during the National Championships.  E. Wilson is targeting an early Fall 2009 date for completion of the HPC structure and composition.

 

11.0      Board Self-Evaluation

- Is this a valuable exercise? The general feeling around the table was that it is not a particularly useful exercise and really serves no useful purpose.

DECISION: Board self-evaluations will no longer be conducted.

12.0      2010 FCA Annual Achievement Awards (for 2009 achievements)

- Suggested that the EC consider nominations and select award recipients (for 2009 achievements), at the EC meeting scheduled for January 2010.

- EC asked to give consideration about possible nominees, between now and January 2010.

- Put out a call in October 2009. Contact all provincial Presidents.

ACTION: C. Parlee/S. Ogilvie to put out a call for nominations from the provinces and clubs in October 2009. Communicate on the FCA website and in issues of InfoEmail.

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to include FCA Annual Awards on the EC’s January 2010 meeting agenda.

 

Executive Committee / Comité executif

Sunday, August 9, 2009 @17:00hrs – Laval, QC - le 09 aout, 2009 @ 17:00hrs

 

1.0 Welcome and Opening Remarks

- A. Wills welcomed EC members and extended a warm welcome to T. Furlotte as the new member to the EC.

 

2.0 Finances

- R. Tataryn asked that if an EC member doesn’t claim for any expenses, to please request a tax receipt.

- S. Ogilvie reported that reimbursements to athletes and staff (based on the approved HPC budget and guidelines stipulate in the budget proposal) are to be made to the following teams over the course of the coming Fall:

- Senior World Championship

- Para-Archery World Championship

- Youth World Championship

- 3D World Championship

- Antalya World Cup

- El Salvador WRE

- R. Tataryn asked each V-P to give thought to their budget needs for fiscal year 2010-11 and come prepared to speak to it at the January 2010 EC meeting.

ACTION: EC V-Ps to give thought to their budget needs for fiscal year 2010-11 and come prepared to speak to it at the January 2010 EC meeting.

- R. Tataryn asked if there are benefits to having our travel agency Algonquin Travel, handle travel logistics. For example, would FCA be eligible for points towards free ticket(s)? Do these possible benefits outweigh the cost to have Algonquin Travel, handle travel logistics for national teams, the EC?

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to make inquiries with Algonquin Travel about what financial benefits there may be to have Algonquin Travel handle FCA’s travel logistics.

 

3.0       Current Committee Chairs

ACTION: A. Wills to write and ask (in September 2009) if current Committee Chairs wish to continue as Chair of their Committee.

- E. Wilson suggested the EC consider staging a meeting of the EC and Committee Chairs. This could be staged for example at the Outdoor National Championships or another FCA event.

- R. Tataryn reported that he has approached Roger Garrod about assuming the Chair of the Rules Committee. R. Garrod to confirm.

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to place the E. Wilson suggestion noted above on the EC meeting agenda (January 2010 meeting).

 

4.0      Town Hall Meeting

- E. Wilson reported that he will host a Town Hall Meeting later next week during the National Championships. The intent is to provide information to the membership on various FCA matters and to field questions, concerns and suggestions from the membership. It’s scheduled for this coming Thursday at 3:00pm at the Target Championship venue (under the tents).

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to communicate this to the membership and parents present at the Championships.

 

5.0       Canadian Archery Foundation

A. Wills provided an overview of the Canadian Archery Foundation:

- The Foundation will be ‘arms length’ from FCA.

- The general intent is to develop and promote archery in Canada.

- Ghislain Arsenault will be the lead volunteer.

- A Foundation Board of Directors will be established and will control where and how funds are spent by the Foundation. The FCA will NOT have input into where and how funds are spent.

- Will pattern the Foundation after the Canadian Power Squadron (CPS) Foundation. G. Arsenault is very familiar with this Foundation as he is a member of the CPS.

- Suggested sources of funds for the Foundation: i) any future increase in membership fees go to the Foundation; ii) a ssilent auction held at the National Championships with proceeds going to the Foundation; and iii) FCA members or anyone wishing to donate to the Foundation could make a donation in memory of an FCA member, e.g., Greg Durward, Don Jackson, etc. A ‘hard’ and virtual (on FCA’s website) Memorial Book could be kept.

- Until such time that the Foundation is officially established and registered with the Canada Revenue Agency and has a Board of Directors in place, the FCA will collect donations, handle the administration duties of the Foundation and assist with the establishment of the Foundation.

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to set-up a separate bank account at the RBC, for the Foundation funds received.

ACTION: A. Wills to circulate documents to the EC and G. Arsenault,  that he and K. Millar researched and gathered over the past couple of years.

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to work with G. Arsenault and A. Wills to begin work on Foundation.

6.0       FCA Rulebook

- The FCA rulebook is re-printed every two years.

- The communication of proposed and approved FCA rule changes needs to be better communicated to the membership.

DECISION: The FCA will provide funds to the Judge Committee to cover the cost of a re-print each year and provide a free copy to each National Level Judge.

 

7.0       National Championship – Format

- Hugh MacDonald’s Athlete Representative report contains suggestions for improving the format of the National Target Championship.

- The FCA wants clubs to step forward and host National Championships and for the Host Organizing Committee to make money. By re-formatting the Championships, perhaps we can make this a reality.

- We cannot make changes in the format for 2010. We don’t want to tell the Host Organizing Committee and the Board (at next year’s Board meeting) that the format has been changed. Any proposed changes would have to be for 2011 and beyond.

- T. Furlotte suggested that he could conduct a survey to obtain membership feedback on proposed format changes.

- A. Wills stated that before we go too far with proposed format changes, we should first complete the LTAD Competition Review exercise that was put on hold.  All agreed.

 

8.0       FCA Annual Achievement Awards

- T. Furlotte suggested that the presentation of the annual awards at the AGM is not the ideal venue, as there are very few people at the AGM and many of the recipients (e.g., athlete, coaches,) aren’t at the AGM. He suggested that a better venue for presentation would be the final banquet. This will ensure most recipients are present and will ensure a much larger audience is on-hand to see the winners and recognize them.  This will heighten the profile and value of the awards.

ACTION:  S. Ogilvie to place the above on the EC’s January 2010 meeting agenda.


9.0       FCA Equipment and Equipment Container

- As the new V-P Events & Services, T. Furlotte asked for an update on the status of the FCA Equipment and Equipment Container. E. Wilson provided a brief overview (see August 7th EC minutes above).

- A. Wills stated that the FCA has not committed to selling the equipment and container but the EC is considering it as an option to be further investigated.

- T, Furlotte stated that if deemed necessary, he’s prepared to visit the Caledon A.C. to look at contents and condition of the equipment and container.

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to forward to T. Furlotte, the listing of the equipment inventory and the dimensions and weight of the container, forwarded previously by Bruce Savage.

 

10.0      Insurance Coverage

- T. Furlotte informed the EC that Lindsey Poehl of AANS has asked that the EC give consideration to having hunters covered under the FCA insurance policy (accident insurance for hunters that are members of FCA. In other words, explore the possibility of liability and personal injury insurance while hunting, for FCA members that are hunters.

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to contact Jim Stirling of BFL Insurance about liability and personal injury insurance while hunting.

ACTION: S. Ogilvie/R. Tataryn to contact provincial associations and ask them to provide the number of crossbow users that are FCA members.

 

11.0      Report on HPC Plans and Activities

- E. Wilson reported that he is working on a proposed structure for HPC and that he will discuss this with Joan McDonald and S. Ogilvie this coming week. As stated during the August 7th EC meeting, E. Wilson is targeting an early Fall 2009 date for completion of the HPC structure and composition.

- Proposals to be developed to address 2012 & 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

- The 2010 National Team selection criteria is unlikely to change much from that used for 2009.

- There are likely to be small changes to the Trials process for 2010.

- A call for bids to host Trials will follow shortly after the Trials process is finalized.

 

12.0      3D Plans and Activities

- J. Hooey reported on the recommendations from the July 2009 3D Committee meeting minutes and which she reported on during the August 7th EC meeting. See minutes in this regard noted above.

ACTION: T. Furlotte to forward a copy of AANB’s 3D Program to J. Hooey for review.

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to forward an electronic version of the FCA’s 3D CanBow to J. Hooey.

 

13.0 Score Cards

- S. Ogilvie asked for clarification on what score cards are required to be sent to the FCA.

- The Host Organizing Committee of a National Championship must keep scorecards for a minimum of 30 days following the close of competition, at which time they are then destroyed.

DECISION: Only score cards for the following tournaments are to be sent by the Host Organizing Committee to the FCA:  Regional Indoors, National Indoor & Outdoor Championships, national team, selection trials. The FCA will keep them on file for a minimum of one month. Other tournament score cards are not required by FCA.

ACTION: S. Ogilvie to communicate to provincial associations and clubs that ONLY score cards for the following tournaments are to be sent by the Host Organizing Committee to the FCA:  Regional Indoors, National Indoor & Outdoor Championships, national team, selection trials. The FCA will keep them on file for a minimum of one month. Other tournament score cards are not required by FCA.


APPENDIX 1

DRAFT BUDGET FY 2009-10


APPENDIX 2

Tournament Fee Structure and Registration Process

Proposal Submitted by E. Wilson, V-P Events & Services

August 2009

Rationale- We have no documented fee structure/schedule for event registration. The proposal will establish these fees, as well as establish a schedule to reduce the workload for volunteers, and ensure our members know of events well in advance. By encouraging the majority of events to be registered by the early deadline there will be less updates needed for the schedule, and reduce/simplify the invoice process.

 

Details:

2009/2010 Indoor Season Early Registration Deadline: Oct. 30/2009

Fees-

FCA Indoors Rounds-$29.40

FITA Indoor Rounds-$47.25

 

Late Registration /Date Change Premium-$10/event (all events registered after the early registration deadline are subject to this fee) FCA registered events must be registered no later than 2 weeks prior. FITA STAR Events must be registered no later than 1 month prior to the event.

All Event Registrations must include a completed event registration form.

 

2010 Outdoor Season Early Registration Deadline: March 26/2010

Fees-

FCA Outdoor Rounds-$25

FITA Outdoor Rounds-$45

 

Late Registration/Date Change Premium-$10/event (all events registered after the early registration deadline are subject to this fee) FCA registered events must be registered no later than 2 weeks prior. FITA STAR Events must be registered no later than 1 month prior to the event.

All Event Registrations must include a completed event registration form.


APPENDIX 2

Tournament Fee Structure and Registration Process

Proposal Submitted by E. Wilson, V-P Events & Services

August 2009

Tournament Registration Form

 

Host Club:______________________________________

 

Club Location:___________________________________

 

Club Contact Person:_______________________________

 

Phone Number:____________________________________

 

Email:___________________________________________

 

 

Event Information:

 

Date:__________________                                Date:__________________

 

Round:_________________                               Round:__________________

 

Schedule:__________________             Schedule:__________________

 

 

Date:__________________                                Date:__________________

 

Round:_________________                               Round:__________________

 

Schedule:__________________             Schedule:__________________

 

 

Date:__________________                                Date:__________________

 

Round:_________________                               Round:__________________

 

Schedule:__________________             Schedule:__________________

 

 

Date:__________________                                Date:__________________

 

Round:_________________                               Round:__________________

 

Schedule:__________________             Schedule:__________________